Most of the people I've talked to recently have all asked the obvious question - Do we get Easter as a holiday?
If you think about it for a few seconds - the answer is probably equally obvious - with this country having Islam as the major religion, and Islam not recognising the religious nature of Easter - Easter isn't a holiday.
There are a few odd things about this though. Firstly, with my weekend falling on Friday and Saturday, and most of the Western world having Friday off - for the first part of the weekend it did feel like Easter. I had Good Friday off!
Secondly, besides the religious nature of the holiday, many of us associate Easter with Hot Cross Buns and Easter Eggs. (Although strangely, my American colleagues didn't know what Hot Cross Buns were!). Coming up to Easter - would they be available? February crept by - and Easter Eggs would no doubt be in the shop back at home. No sign of them here. March - No sign. Then last Saturday, while shopping - suddenly there was a big display of Easter Eggs in oversized boxes. I suspect they were English, as many of the brands were English style chocolate brands. This excited agirlindoha, so one large box of Easter Eggs was procured.
Over the course of the next week, it would appear agirlindoha must have done some more shopping, because soon there were some Cadbury caramel eggs. Then a Lindt bunny or two appeared. Easter was looking up. No Hot Cross buns were to be seen, so recipes were scoured on the Internet, ingredients procured, and Hot Cross buns were baked (quite successfully I should say- Iranian raisins are very good!).
So we were sitting around, munching them fresh from the oven on Friday night, when a friend told us they'd made a last minute appearance at our supermarket. Oh well, mine would have been tastier then shop brought ones!
The other weird thing was today - Easter Sunday. Of to work I went, and no word of Easter was said. I was tempted to run an Easter Egg hunt around the office, but I figured this would not win many friends, despite this countries love of chocolate! Happy Easter!


No comments:
Post a Comment