Friday, March 9, 2012

A night out

   Last night we went out to a "beach party" This maybe why my head is a little sore and stomach is a little queasy today, although I suspect it's more because of the late night (ok Mum!).
 

   This particular beach party involved a Scottish musician called Calvin Harris, and there was probably more than a thousand people there.  


   I wouldn't have gone to see him at home, but when there's a distinct lack of gigs to go see, you do it for a chance to get out and have a good time, especially given agirlindoha's state.  Yes Mum, I did look after agirlindoha - we bought more expensive tickets so she could sit on a couch and relax, although I think she was up and dancing more than I!

  While there was not a thobe or an abaya to be seen at the gig and English accents abounded, I do wonder how many people there were normally clad in the traditional dress.  More than a few I suspect - although you did need to provide your ID card when you entered the gig - maybe certain categories of people were excluded?

   The other highlight of the night was the toilets.  There was a single cabin of portaloos for men (capacity 6 people?), and a single cabin of portaloos for women (capacity 3). To paraphrase a Scot while we were standing in the queue "How are these guys going to run a world cup when they think 9 toilets are enough for 1000 people?".  (He didn't exactly say that, but my Mum might be reading this - and given he was Scottish there may have been a few swear words involved!)

  The night reinforces what a weird dichotomy there is in this country.  On one side there is a need to bring a huge number of expatriates into the country to help support the businesses in this country. Expats will tolerate some lifestyle changes, but also appreciate having a lifestyle which allows them some freedoms.  This night was a good example of this.  On the other side, you've got the push by many native Qatari's to reinforce the values of the Wahhabism doctrine (one of the more conservative branches of the Islamic faith).  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment